1926 Memorial Park Estate - 97 years ago today
Today, 97 years ago, on Saturday, 24th April 1926, the Memorial Park Estate in Graceville was being advertised for sale.
1926 Memorial Park Estate - Graceville, Brisbane
The Memorial Park Estate was advertised in the local papers on the days leading up to the sale.
The developer at the time ran a "Catch-Phrase" competition with:
- 1st Prize - Choice block of Land on the Memorial Park Estate
- 2nd Prize - Choice block of Land at half-price
- 3rd Prize - Block of Land at 25 per cent reduction.
- Three Special Prizes of 10 per cent reduction
- Consolation Prizes of price reduction, varying from £1 to £5, according to merit
Competition winners announced at the sale.
The advertisements at the time described the Memorial Park Estate as.
Selling will take place of one of the finest Estates that could be offered around Brisbane.
Faces well-kept, modern Recreation and Sports Grounds
Surrounded by particularly fine types of homes - a veritable paradise for homeseekers
The Local Sketch includes information about the proposed terminus for the Motor Boat Ferry to North Quay.
The Memorial Park Estate covers Acacia Avenue, Waratah Avenue, Austral Avenue, White Street, Park Drive, Chanter Street, Cordalba Street (map shows as Pro New Road), Oxley Road (map shows as Main Oxley Road), Verney Road East and Appel Street (map shows as Station Street).
Check out the 1936 Aerial view of the Memorial Park Estate.
1936 Aerial Photo of Memorial Park Estate
More Graceville information available
- Graceville Estate Maps
- Graceville Streets
- Historical Images - Graceville
- Aerial Photos - Graceville
- News about Graceville
Leave a comment