Map showing Plan of the Thompson Estate which is now part of current day Woolloongabba
Plan of the Thompson Estate being Subdivisions 1 to 434, Portions 176 & 177, Parish of South Brisbane.
Street names shown on the map:
- Ipswich Road
Government Road (now O'Keefe Street)
Government Road (now Cornwall Street)
- Logan Road
The map covers the present day streets:
Ipswich Road, Woolloongabba
O'Keefe Street, Woolloongabba
Cornwall Street, Woolloongabba
Logan Road, Woolloongabba
Pacific Motorway, Woolloongabba
Wolseley Street, Woolloongabba
Tottenham Street, Woolloongabba
Carl Street, Woolloongabba
Regent Street, Woolloongabba
Junction Street, Woolloongabba
Fern Street, Woolloongabba
Oxford Street, Woolloongabba
Myrtle Street, Woolloongabba
Date: Saturday, 19 November 1881
Location: Woolloongabba, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
The map also includes the following text:
- On Saturday, November 19
- For sale by public auction on the ground commencing at half-past two o'clock
- A Champagne Luncheon at two o'clock
- Monster Sale.
- Allotments for the Million.
- THE THOMPSON ESTATE
- Comprising 400 superb allotments, situated wihin 200 yards of the first proposed Railway Station out of South Brisbane on the Oxley Line, and possessing frontages to and forming the Main Ipswich Road and Suburban Boundary Road which leads into the Main Logan, Old Cleveland and Lytton Roads, being unexceptionally the most valable and best business centre in the rapidly rising suburb.
- Terms: Quarter cash; the balance by bills at 6,12, and 18 months, at 8 per cent added.
- Titles Real Property Act.
- James Cameron
- Has been favoured with instructions, from the Hon. James Cowlishaw, to sell by public auction
- On the Ground on Saturday, November 19, commencing at half-past two o'clock.
- A Champagne Lunch provided at 2 o'clock.
- The Thompson Estate, embracing that Valuable Property known as Thompson's Paddocks, situated just beyond the Woolloongabba Hotel and possessing half-a-mile frontage to the Main Ipswich Road, and about the same frontage to the Suburban Boundary Road.
- This magnificent property has been carefully subdivided into 400 building site, every road intersecting the Estate being One Chain Wide.
- The Thompson Estate occupies the centre of this rapidly rising suburb, which is making giant strides in every direction, the carpenter's hammer and saw being employed night and day in the erection of shops, dwelling houses & clearly impressing the beholder and listener with the idea that the workers are in earnest, and the locality destined to become, within the next year or two, one of the most thickly populated and busy spots in the Woolloongabba Suburb.
- The proprietor is placing the The Thompson Estate in the market has certainly "met" a want long felt by many wishing to locate in the neighbourhood, and that is affording all classes the opportunity of purchasing a first-class building site, high and dry, with Splendid views! Good Drainage! and at prices to suit the pockets of all classes!
- The "Man of Means" who wants to secure a large area will have his wish gratified in the Thompson Estate, as each purchaser will have the option of selecting five allotments at the same price per lot as that knocked down to him without competition.
- The Omnibuses run close to The Thompson Estate all day long, and when the Oxley Railway is completed (tenders are now being called for the works) there will be a station close to the estate, thus affording further facilities for approaching the city, and at the same time adding Hundreds per cent to the value of properties in the neightbourhood.
- Lithographic Plans can be had on application to the Auctioneer, or at Scanlan's Woolloongabba Hotel.
- N.B. - Date of Sale - Saturday, November 19, on the ground, commencing at 2.30 - A Champagne Lunch at 2.
- Local Sketch
- Brisbane River
- Normans Creek
- Dry Dock
- Clarance Hotel
- Chalks Stables
- Kangaroo Point Main Street
- Woolloongabba Reserve
- Stanley Street
- Boggo Road
- New Gaol
- Railway Line
- Ipswich Road
- Logan Road
- Old Cleveland Road
- Hamilton & Raff Licensed Surveyors, Queen Street
- Warwick & Sapsford, Steam Litho Works.